Monday, April 25, 2011

updates & i suck

I really need to start updating more often, I have found throughout the years (even back when Livejournal was the thing to do) that I suck at maintaining online writing projects. Since I have become much more neurotic about schedules since I started my job, I should really just write it in to my daily schedule to update. For now, I'll just go through my post tags and write.


I am still die-hard into this Paleo thing... So  much so that now I feel like it's becoming a lifestyle for me. I watched a video recently (Lynx) that sort of spawned a new philosophy for me. Exercise should be intense and infrequent. The more I think about this, it satisfies me physically and psychologically. There's something about mimicking "the hunt," that makes exercise much more purpose-driven, and therefore bearable. I've always liked working out, but it seemed that before I adopted the mindset outlined in that video, I always felt like there was something missing. I'm finding that by understanding exactly how and why I'm doing each particular form, set, repetition, mile, etc., I am confident that I'm improving something important (whether it be endurance, agility, strength, power, etc.) instead of idly lifting weights and wondering if something will eventually happen. 


Granted, I've been technically "in-shape," for a while now, I proved to myself that what I'm doing is working about two weeks ago, when I hiked the Appalachian Approach, a 17-mile knob trail in north Georgia.




That's at the top of Springer Mountain, 8.5 miles and 4 mountains away from the starting point at Amicalola Falls. My good friend Matt and I did this 17-mile monster hike in 2010, when we were both eating poorly and out of shape, and it was possibly the worst experience in our lives. Now, in 2011, we're both eating Paleo and training non-stop and this hike was a breeze. Very enjoyable, and we were both very proud of ourselves. And yes, those are Vibram Five Fingers that I'm wearing on my feet in the picture. If you haven't gotten a pair yet, then you haven't lived!


Anyway, to wrap all of that up, I weighed in last week at 187 lbs., which is only a mere 12 lbs. off from my ultimate goal. It's astonishing to see people online ranting about how Paleo is a fad diet that doesn't work... Almost six sacks of potatoes worth of fat gone from my body begs to differ.


Apart from being totally absorbed in my personal fitness, I've also been flexing my mental muscles quite a bit lately with Book of the Fallen (a tabletop RPG I'm designing). It's astonishing, in my opinion, that this game is homegrown from the ground up, and we are up to four (yes, four) different campaigns being run on it. Rarely do we find a rule or mechanic within the system that completely doesn't work. Furthermore, the game is incredibly fun. I've played a great many tabletops in my life, and not a single one (D&D, GURPS, Palladium, etc.) have been more fun than Book of the Fallen.


Within the last two weeks, I revamped the combat system of Book of the Fallen to include 250 "Advanced Maneuvers," which are basically cool shit your character can do with a weapon. So now, our pool of content includes the Book of the Fallen Game Manual and the Advanced Maneuver Compendium. Our little homegrown game has two books?! Win.


I haven't been doing much in the writing department lately due to the combat system project detailed above, and my new found love of working out, but trust that it's coming. My goal for this week is to plan out my brand new Book of the Fallen adventure, which will involve quite a bit of creative writing. I won't be able to post everything, since some of it is secret GM stuff, but I will definitely post snippets.


That's all for now, I intend on updating much more frequently, so you will hear from me soon. Until then, over & out!

No comments: